5 Things One Must Understand About Tech
Earlier, the basic human needs to survive were only air, water, food, and shelter, but now it has become air, water, food, shelter, and tech.
At the present time, humans can hardly survive without tech as it has become almost a basic necessity of survival for us all. There isn’t a single moment we are away from tech. Even while we are not using our smartphones or laptops, tech is surrounded all around us and we are using it one way or another.
When tech is such an important part of our life, rather than just using it randomly, we need to understand its principles a bit. Technology is not an industry now, its a lot more than that today. It’s transforming or better say shaping our lives. So, following are the things you must understand about tech:
1. Tech Is Not Neutral
One thing we all forget is that whatever tech we are using, the values of technology creators are rooted deeply behind every button, link, icon, everything. These developers hold the ability to change our behaviors, our life via their innovations. Their design, technical architecture or business model can have profound impacts on our privacy, security and even civil rights as users. For eg., if a particular software demands your image be uploaded in a square shape instead of rectangular, it is actually the preferences of those who create those technologies.
2. There Is No Escape From Tech
Tech is evolving at every minute and it is making our lives more and more easier and better. But with improvements, the risks are also rising. Also, for some, the new tech may prove to be a bliss while some it may turn out to be a curse. If the new tech is not so good or extremely good, one way or other, tech is and will be there. As if it’s good it will widespread and if it has glitches, it will improve.
3. Tech History Is Poorly Documented And Poorly Understood.
Though anything and everything about tech is easily available on the internet, it’s often near impossible to know why certain technologies flourished, or what happened to the ones that didn’t. A lot of tech history has either been erased or the details of the failed attempts are missing. What problems were encountered or what problems did they cause has no proper record. Also, a lot of names of the creators or innovators has been got erased from the stories when we created the myths around today’s biggest tech titans.
Either some questions are answered deliberately incorrect or are distorted replies in order to show a sleek, seamless, inevitable progress in the tech world. But this way of showing tech history can have serious consequences when today’s tech creators are unable to learn from those who came before them, even if they want to.
4. Tech Doesn’t Belong To Just One Genius Creator
It happens that some people become the face of the tech. Like till today, the name Steve Jobs comes to mind when anything associated with Apple is heard or talked about, while he was not the sole creator of iPhone, it was the work of thousands of people behind it.
5. The Revenue Of Most Of The Big Tech Companies Comes From…..
- Advertising: 90% of the money is generated by Google and Facebook from selling information about you to the advertisers. Almost every product of theirs is designed to extract as much information from you as possible so that they can study your behaviors, preferences and search patterns in order to lure you to their sites or apps by showing you ads based on your activity.
- Big Business: Other giants like Microsoft, Oracle, and Salesforce exist to make money from other big companies that need business software through which they can control and monitor their workers by paying a premium.
- Individuals: While Apple and Amazon carryout straightforward business models cause you know exactly what you’re getting when you are buying their products or subscribing their services.They want you to pay them directly for their products, or for the products that others sell in their store.